The Rocky Mountain Soccer Camp was founded in 1971 by FIFA Referee and Colorado resident Artie Wachter with skepticism from the local soccer community who said that the idea would never work. The first camp was held at the Summit County School in Frisco, CO.. The next year it moved to Vail, CO. and subsequently down the road to the Avon/Beaver Creek area. In 1974, the RMSC was the first soccer camp in the country to have girls participate. Twenty one years later, Artie retired and sold the business to Mark and Tarla Perdew who are the current owners.
The profile of the RMSC has expanded since 1992 to include Mini Camps over the years in various Colorado locations such as Metro Denver, Grand Jct., Paonia, Delta, Westcliffe, Woodland Park, and Pueblo. There are also camps that have been held in Hays, Kansas since 2000 and there was even a 6 year stint running camps in Healy/Denali Park, Alaska. Overnight camp locations have included Evergreen, Bailey, Westcliffe, and Leadville, CO.
In 2007, the historic Victor High School Property in Victor, Colorado was purchased as the permanent home of the RMSC's Live-in Camps and residential Team Camps.
PAST RMSC CAMPERS AND STAFF
- Artie Wachter – FIFA Referee, NASL
- April Heinrichs – US National Team Player and Coach, 1991 FIFA Women’s World Champion
- Karl Groesser – U18 US National Team, Colorado Comets
- Tim Schulz – MISL & NASL
- Mike Flater – NASL
- Esse Baharmast – FIFA World Cup Referee
- Emilio Romero – NASL, MISL, US National Team
- PJ Johns – GK – MISL, NASL
- Ali Saheli – MISL, MLS Referee
- Peter Mehlbach – Colorado HS Coaching Legend
- Peter Horvath – MISL, USL, Columbine HS Coach
- Ed Montojo – Metro State Coach – HS Coach
- Donnie Gallegos – USISL Colorado Comets
- Dayna Smith – Santa Clara, WUSA Atlanta Beat
- Steve Cornish – England, UNC Asheville Coach
- Michelle Bell Cornish – UNC Asheville Coach
- Brent “Zico” Ward – Brazil – Colorado Comets